September 6, 2011

Quick and Easy Garlic Pickles

I went home for the weekend and came back with a bag full of cucumbers.  Although I love cucumbers and will simply peel and eat them whole for a snack, I had too many and thought they would go bad.  So I decided to make some pickles.

I have never made pickles so was looking for inspiration.  I found Alex Guarnaschelli's recipe but made a few modifications.  They turned out great! I hope you enjoy. 

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
8 cups water
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 pounds kirby cucumbers, thoroughly washed and dried
2 jalapeno peppers, cut into rounds
Mix the sea salt, apple cider vinegar, and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the brine from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Strain the brine and dump out the solids.  Arrange the cucumbers and peppers upright in a container large enough to hold the brine.  The cucumbers should be fitted tightly and should come within 1/2-inch of the top of the container.


Fill the container with the brine to the top and tap on a flat surface to remove any possible air bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment